Sunday, January 20, 2008

Stronger

You may be familiar with Kanye West's hit single, Stronger, which gets played in clubs and bars constantly. Just in case you have no idea what I'm talking about here is the music video:



Do you see the glasses Kanye is wearing? They are called Shudder Shades and I can't imagine they will become a fashion statement, since it is hard to see out of them, but I wouldn't mind it because I love ridiculous things. Anyway Ed freaking loves this song, to no end. He always bumps it on our way to Mill, rolls down the windows (even if its freaking cold outside) and even requests it at bars, which once led to this incredible exchange at the Tavern:

Ed: Can you play Stronger?
DJ: Why would you request a song you know you are going to hear?

On with the story; Ed and I always joke about how we need to get the glasses Kanye wears in the video. This is one of those typical jokes that you have with your friends where you joke that you should do something, but you are never going to actually do it. I, however, changed the course of history when I did something amazing: I found a pair of shudder shades online and bought them. Just buying them wasn't enough, however, I needed to debut them in epic style. So I waited until last night, when our entire crew got drove around in a Party Bus all night. I created the playlist for the bus, and strategically put Stronger as the first song. It comes on and sure enough Ed starts freaking out to it (to call it dancing would be too much of an understatement). At this key moment I come running up to Ed, throw on the shudder shades and for the first time in his life I think Ed was speechless. He couldn't talk, he just stared at me bewilderedly while I kept yelling "that just happened!"

It was a fantastic moment, and shorty after I gave the glasses to Ed. I didn't plan to wear them the rest of the night, or into a bar, but I knew Ed would. Did he ever, Ed wore the glasses pretty much the entire night. Including was an epic moment where Ed jumped into the middle of the dance area at Suite 301, threw on the shudder shades and started dancing. Amazing.

Why am I telling this story to you? Because the shudder shades moment will go down as one of the most important events in Western Civilization. Just you wait.

0 comments: