Monday, January 12, 2009

Time to Ramble About the Cardinals

You'll excuse me if I ramble a little bit about the Cardinals and their awesome 33-13 win over the Panthers on Saturday. See, I'm one of those guys that has been a fan forever. I often wondered why I rooted for the Cardinals, but no matter how many loosing seasons they had I knew I could never not root for them. I feel vindicated now! There are a lot of new Cardinal fans in the Valley now, and I know a bunch of new fans who used to ridicule me for being a fan back in the dark days. That is fine, I'm not going to deny them entry to the fan club, we welcome all the fans we can get. Just know there are two kinds of fans: The diehards who lived through all the heartache and the new breed. I love you new breeders, but you will never be the diehards. Us fans that have been through the thick and thin, watched games in the extreme heat at Sun Devil Stadium, talked ourselves into thinking players like Jason McAddley could become All-Pros, we are the greatest generation. Tom Brokaw should write a book about us. 

I'm not here to split the Cardinal fans, we need to unite and we have. I'm just saying that this is the most rewarding fan experience of my life. I stuck with this for years and years, you better believe this feels damn good. But like I said, it's not like I had a choice, I was never not going to root for them.

Okay, time for a bulleted list that makes my rambling look orderly and thought out:

  • I don't see how some members of the media can say the Cardinals stand no chance against the Eagles after all that has happened. They are idiots, but I say keep them coming. I love all the doubters.
  • To Deion Sanders, who said he would give up his Super Bowl tickets if the Cardinals made it. A) I'll take them, B) I don't really care what you think, you never were a part of a team that built themselves into a winner, you just signed quick free agent contracts with the dynasties of their day (49ers and Cowboys).  
  • Jake Delhomme played the worst game by a QB in the playoffs since Brett Favre threw 6 INTs in the 2001 playoffs. Yet I read an article today where someone tried to justify what Favre did in that game. This leads to my point: Brett, you better leave the game before the media stops giving you a free pass for EVERYTHING.
  • Larry Fitzgerald is the best WR in football. No one has his talent and his heart. 
  • I love Anquan Boldin, but the Cardinals can win without him (4-1 this year). It may be time to accommodate his trade request, get some youth and free up money to sign guys like Darnell Dockett, Adrian Wilson and Karlos Dansby.
  • Gotta give it up to Donavan McNabb and the Eagles for their incredible comeback this season. Still, don't the Eagles have a history of losing in the NFC Championship Game? I don't get why they are a lock to win. This is still the QB who didn't know there were ties in football games until a few weeks ago.
  • I'm going to set the over/under on the Steelers-Ravens game at 13 (I'm joking, sort of).
  • Arizona is going crazy, the frenzy is reaching 92-93 Suns levels. 

Final note: This blogger actually acquired tickets to the Cardinals-Eagles game on Sunday, so he is super stoked!

Go Cards!

0 comments: