Monday, February 20, 2006

Hell Week, Bjornstock and basketball talk

I must apologize for not updating the blog in what seems like forever. I have been very busy. In the past week I have had to read about 1,000 books for my history 498 class (that class is kicking my ass), take a test in management (lets just say I’ve done better on tests), work a 12 hour shift (on Friday, and it sucked) and look for internships. So it was one hell of a week. However it was all over by Saturday night just in time for Bjornstock 2006!! Another big party from the Cottonwood Kings. The flyers we passed out set the tone for the party, on them included such great things as the picture I took of Bjorn at the USC-ASU tailgate in which he is holding up a sign that says he can out drink Wade Boggs (a shocking amount of people don’t seem to know how Wade Boggs is. He was a great baseball player, but that’s not important. Urban Legend has it that he once drank 64 beers on a cross country flight. So if Bjorn could out drink Wade Boggs that would be pretty damn impressive). While passing out the flyers (me and Bjorn spent the better part of three hours trying to pass them out at work on Friday night) we made promises of 8 kegs. That got people pumped (actually Keg count for the night: 2). The party itself was a lot of fun and it lasted until about 3am (which was a nice change since their last few parties have gotten broken up around midnight). However nothing that happened was really blog worthy. It was a great time, I had fun, I might have had a little to much to drink, and all the awesome kids were there. Other then that I do not have much else to say about it. Good times all around though. If I remember correctly I took some good pictures, but I don’t really remember with who or how many.

All-Star weekend was this weekend so I am only going to say a few things about it: 1 Andre I got robbed, 2. the West’s 4th quarter offense was for Kobe and T-Mac to jack no wonder they lost. 3. I somehow have not gotten sick of seeing Eva Longoria everywhere and I don’t think I ever will. 4. Carrie Underwood is sooooooo hot.

So since its all-star weekend its time for me to break down the first half of the NBA season. Here it goes:

Detroit is obviously the team to beat. I’m never going to count out Miami because they have Wade and Shaq will step up his game come playoff time. Its easy to see getting Antoine Walker and Jason Williams was a mistake. Whenever I watch a heat game GP is always playing the point when the game is on the line. The Nets might be fun to watch but they have no shot at beating Miami or Detroit. Not with that imposing frontline of Uncle Cliffy and Kristic. For the West, we actually have three teams: Mavs, Spurs and Suns. It seems like the Spurs are having a down year, until you realize that they are like 41-11. Everyone is waiting for the Mavs to prove it in the playoffs and for good reason. I must say though they have what it takes to get it done. Remember folks, they are in the Western Conference. From 2000-2004 the West playoffs were not easy. The West Semi Finals were basically like the Conference finals with the West Conference finals being the NBA finals. So looking back on it that way, the Mavs reached the NBA finals in 2003 but lost to the Spurs (who doesn’t lose to the Spurs?). If the Suns are real good right now, if Amare can return to health they will be scary. Good thing for the Suns is that they are the #2 seed. Which means while the Mavs and Spurs battle it out in the Semifinals the Suns will be cruising past a Denver/NOAK/Memphis. Ahh good times.

Midseason awards:

MVP: Steve Nash

ROY: Chris Paul (duh)

Coach: Flip

Executive: Bryan C or maybe Elgin Baylor

I am still not going to make any predictions until the playoffs start. I do want to address the trade rumors that Isaiah wants to trade for Steve Francis and pair him with Starbury to make a modern day Isaiah-Dumars backcourt. I really want this to happen. How awesome would this be? It would go so horribly wrong it would be great. You know Franchise is gonna be pissed he cant be #3. They are both gonna battle for the ball. Its going to be great.

May darkhorse team to win the NCAA tourney: Memphis. I don’t know if you can call a top 10 team a darkhorse, but I like Memphis. Darius Washington baby (as long as the game doesn’t come down to free throws).

Okay kids I am out, Ill try to make the blogs better I promise.

P.S. If JamesOn Curry’s name was Leonard Curry or Joey Curry would he be as talked about?

0 comments: