Friday, May 19, 2006

2nd Annual TV Awards Blog

So I finally moved and I now have internet connection back! My new place: Wilshire Pines, or the Shire as we folks like to call it. More on this later though, it’s the end of the TV season and I have to give my second annual TV awards blog. Before I start I want to touch on the season finale of the OC, and the series finale of That 70s Show.

So Marissa is dead, I have to give props to Justin for calling this. The minute he saw the preview saying someone would die he predicted Marissa’s death and even predicted Catlin would take over the show, which it looks like she might. I really wish they would not have broadcast the fact that someone died though, because that could have been the most shocking season finale ever. I don’t think I have ever seen a hit show kill off one of their main characters after just three seasons! I’ve heard every rumor why the OC did this, ranging from Mischa Barton wanted to explore a movie career to the OC didn’t want her back. What are they going to do next year? How was Catlin going to be involved? I’m sad Marissa is gone, she is the reason I started watching the show. Midway through season two I heard rumors of the lesbian action she was about to get involved in and started watching and I have been watching ever since. The show won’t be the same, I just don’t know what to think.

Preceding the OC season finale was That 70s Show series finale. I always make it a point to watch series finales, even if I don’t really watch that show anymore. I just like to see how shows wrap up their long, successful runs. For anyone who has been watching, that 70s show really ended last season when Eric and Kelso left. Kelso came back with about 15 minutes left in the hour long episode and Eric returned with about five minutes left. That was their first mistake, because once Erick and Kelso walked so screen the show, which has been lost all year, felt instantly right again. However the whole cast was only together for five total minutes and it was not even that good of a scene. Every great series finale always has that finale scene where you can see the emotion in the actor and actress’ eyes and you know for sure that this is the finale scene ever. With tonight’s finale there was no grand final scene, just some random scene were they are all in their famous circle and then the credits rolled. Overall it was really disappointing and it did not wrap up the series well at all. But enough negativity, That 70s show started when I was in high school back in 1998 and lasted until my last year in college in 2006. It has been a great show, with an incredible rewatchablity factor. It will easily find a place in my top ten sitcoms of all time list.

Finally I want to continue with my TV awards for this past season, not including 24 or Lost because I don’t watch those shows (not that I don’t want to watch, I just don’t have the time). So to recap, these are from shows that I watch not every show on TV.

Best New Show: My Name Is Earl, NBC.

Runner Up: How I Met Your Mother CBS; Invasion ABC.

It was tough to decide between Mother and Earl, but in the end I have never seen a show quite like My Name Is Earl before. I can’t believe NBC finally found a smart, funny, witty comedy that they didn’t can after five episodes. The premise is so unbelievably simple it’s great. It has good characters, good supporting cast and its very charming. NBC finally has a couple of hit comedies on Thursday night again with Earl and the Office.

The Vince Carter Award for “Can be great when it tries, which is 10% of the time”:

Smallville, WB.

I still love this show, however it can bet very pointless at times. But when they focus on episodes involving Clark’s destiny (usually the season premiers, finales and a few ones in-between) it is the best show on TV.

The New Show that is so Horribly Bad its Very Funny Award: Yo Mamma, MTV.

Okay I have only seen this show once or twice and it is the worst show to ever hit cable TV. However it is so bad it’s funny. It’s hosted by Fez and the object of the show is two guys battle it out with insults. During one episode when Fez told the guys to come with their best insults one guy actually said, “Your house is so small we ordered a pizza and had to eat it outside.” I mean is that really an insult? Fez loved it, then he called a conference with his two random friends and after agonizing over a decision declared that guy a winner.

The “My Career Was Saved by a Random Cameo” Award: Neil Patrick Harris, Barney on How I Met Your Mother.

NPH somehow parleys a random cameo in a movie about two guys who are so high they want to go to White Castle into a sitcom role that just might land him a best character award from me sometime in the near future. I love this man.

The Roller Coaster Award: The Office, NBC.

Its first season was so incredibly great that the 2nd one could not possibly live up to it. The start of the second season was bad, but it finished strong. Its easily NBC’s best show.

Farewell to: Invasion, ABC; That 70s Show, FOX; Will and Grace, NBC.

I already touched on That 70s Show and I don’t care about Will and Grace. Invasion was so damn good it’s a shame ABC cancelled it. However it rode Lost’s coattails. I don’t watch Lost so this is probably a dumb thing to say, but if Invasion aired two years ago before Lost was ever around I think it would have stayed and been a huge hit. But everyone watches Lost instead and they don’t want to sit around for another Lost like drama (that moves really, really slow by the way). I loved it however and I will miss it.

Best Mini-Series: Into the West, TNT.

Talk about saving my summer by giving me something to watch. Into the West is the best mini series ever.

Now for the Big Awards:

Best Character/Actor:

Nominees: Charlie Sheen, Charlie Harper, Two and a Half Men; Ethan Suplee, Randy Hickey, My Name is Earl; Kevin Dillion, Johnny Drama, Entourage; Jermey Piven, Ari Gold, Entourage.

Winner: Johnny Drama

Okay I am sure some of you saw this coming since I use Johnny Drama as the name for my fantasy Baseball and Football teams. You gotta give it up to the guy, consistently funny, crazy guy who is just awesome. For a while during Entourage’s summer run Kevin Dillion became bigger than Matt Dillion. At one point during the summer Taylor even called him the, “new Cosmo Kramer.” That alone makes you a shoo in for character of the year in my book.

Show of the Year:

Nominees: Two and a Half Men, CBS; Entourage, HBO; Scrubs, NBC;

Disclaimer: I never nominate first year shows for show of the year, unless they are just insanely kick ass. The only first year show I can ever think of that would have won the award was Ed if I was doing this blog back then.

Winner: Entourage

What can I say? The show is funny, cool, super hip, it looks into the private life of a celebrity, has memorable characters, great actors and cool guest stars. I could not wait for every Sunday night last summer to watch the show. It was also helped that it was on during the summer and had no competition. I want to point out that it took me a very loooooooong time to decide between Entourage and Two and a Half Men. It was that close of a race. Scrubs is on the nominee list because if I had to chose only one show to watch it would be Scrubs, but I go by more of what happened during the past year instead of what show is my absolute favorite. I like to remain somewhat journalistic (even though I don’t watch Lost, 24 or the Sopranos which every good TV critic probably should).

Well I hope you enjoyed me TV awards. Please leave me comments on what you think of my awards, what shows you think should have won (doesn’t have to be ones listed), thoughts on the OC, or anything! Just start leaving me comments! Only my aunt and the Large have had the moxy to leave me comments, so lets see you all step up to the plate! Or don’t, its actually not that big of a deal.

Later kids.

0 comments: