Monday, May 22, 2006

Running Down a Dream


So here we go again, another Western Conference finals and another tough playoff series versus the Mavs. It boggles my mind that this Suns team has found their way into the WCF. Without Amare they were supposed to be done, without Kurt Thomas they really had no shot in the playoffs. When is the last time a team that played two guards and three small forwards has made it to the WCF? It just goes to show how the NBA is changing, with the lack of big men it is becoming smaller much like college ball. Much like March Madness these NBA playoffs have been great. Now we have two solid mach ups in the conference finals.
I can’t believe this is the same team that was down 3-1 verse the Lakers that seems like ages ago. They have played great ever since then, and have played in some very tough games. Beating the Lakers was great and I didn’t expect them to beat the Clippers, however the Suns just came out gunning again and played game 7 verses the Clips just like they played verse the Lakers. I guess the Suns just own LA basketball teams. Can the Suns beat the Mavs? I don’t think so, but I didn’t think they would beat the Clippers. They could beat the Mavs and they seem to play the them well. I think it will be a great series and if Kurt Thomas can return to form he will give the suns MUCH needed rebounding and defense. I know the Suns are up to the challenge, Shawn Marion has already stated, “I’ve got Dirk.” Good to hear, Marion can D up Dirk very well. It may seem crazy but it’s easier for him to guard Dirk than it is Brand, Dirk is a better scorer but he is not as punishing as Brand. Whoever Nash has to guard is going to dominate. He can’t stay with Devin Harris or Jason Terry. It’s going to be interesting and I won’t make any predictions. I’m just going to sit back and watch the Suns run down a dream.

I want to touch on the Mavs-Spurs series, people have been calling this one of the greatest series of all time. Sadly I had to move, had cable problems and was unable to see games 4 and 5 and missed probably the two best games of the series. I missed Jason Terry taking over in OT of game four and his ulitmiate "jumanji" of Michael Finley in game 5 (actually Reggie Evans was still worse. Terry just punched, Evans grabbed and pulled.) I think everyone was sure the Spurs had that game won after Manu hit that three. Mark Cuban thought it was done. So why the HELL does Manu try and contest that Dirk shot with the Spurs up three with less than 24 seconds left? That is top ten most bonehead moves I have ever seen. Say what you want about the no call on Duncan, you can directly point to Manu's mega error as what cost the Spurs their shot at a repeat (that and destiny, the Spurs will never repeat. They will win it all next year, but they will never repeat. Maybe Detroit and the Spurs will trade championships for the next five years. I sure hope not). So who is going to be in the NBA finals? Well the chic pick seems to be the Heat will beat the Pistons. I'll go against the "experts" and pick the team that is so obivously going to win. I think the Mavs will beat the Suns, but I'm not going to make a prediction. I just don't know.

0 comments: